Leaps by Bayer, the impact investment arm of Bayer AG and Temasek, the global investment company headquartered in Singapore, today announced the joint investment and formation of a new company, Unfold. The new venture will focus on innovation in vegetable varieties with the goal of lifting the vertical farming space to the next level of quality, efficiency and sustainability.
While most start-ups in the vertical farming market are focusing on the development of more efficient infrastructure, Unfold is the only company with unparalleled assets to unlock the genetic potential of vertical farming. By utilizing the seed genetics (germplasm) from vegetable crops, Unfold will focus on developing new seed varieties coupled with agronomic advice tailored for the unique indoor environment of vertical farms.
Read the full statement HERE.
- Bloomberg : Temasek, Bayer Form New Company to Sell Seeds to Vertical Farms
- CNA: New company by Temasek, Bayer to develop vegetable seed varieties for vertical farming
- Straits Times: Temasek backs US$30m firm for vertical farming innovation to boost Singapore's food supply
- Business Insider Germany: High-Tech-Gemüse aus der Stadt: Bayer steigt mit eigenem Startup ins Vertical Farming ein
- Handlesblatt: Bayer und Singapurs Staatsfonds gründen Start-up für vertikale Landwirtschaft
- ImpactAlpha: Bayer and Temasek launch Unfold to accelerate vertical farming
- AgFunder News: BREAKING: Bayer and Temasek launch $30m seed genetics business targeting vertical farms
- Greenhouse Product News (Trade publication) New Venture by Bayer and Temasek Focuses on Vertical Farming Innovations
- Vegetable Growers News (Trade) Bayer, Temasek unveil company focused on vertical farming
- Chemical Week: Bayer, Temasek form JV in the US to develop seeds for vertical farms
- Agencia Estado (Brazil) BAYER: INVESTIMENTO COM TEMASEK HOLDINGS CRIA EMPRESA FOCADA EM AGRICULTURA VERTICAL
- The Farmer (Farm Progress Publication) Bayer, Temasek partner to sell seeds to vertical farms